This article will provide you with important information and steps on how to proceed with installing ShortPoint Farm Solution on SharePoint 2013 and SharePoint 2016 On-Premise environments.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- This article is for you if
- Before You Begin
- Begin With the Installation
- To Install New Upgrades
- Post Check After Installation
This article is for you if
- You have downloaded the latest versions of ShortPoint for SharePoint 2013 and ShortPoint for SharePoint 2016
- You want to install/upgrade ShortPoint Farm Solution on your SharePoint On-Premise Farm 2013 or 2016
- Modern SharePoint? You cannot install a ShortPoint Farm Solution on Modern SharePoint sites. For that, you need to install ShortPoint SPFx instead.
Before You Begin
What are the required permissions?
- To proceed with the installation, you must be a farm administrator, a member of the local server Administrators group, and have the db_owner role for the SharePoint configuration database.
- To automatically activate site collection features during installation (optional), you must also be a SharePoint site collection administrator.
- If you are not a Site Collection Administrator for all site collections in a web application, then you should choose to not automatically activate the solution during the installation. Site Collection Administrators can activate the solution when they are ready to use it in their web application and then in their site collection.
- For better performance, deactivate Minimal Download Strategy feature from Site Settings - Manage site features (under Site Actions).
SharePoint Administration Service Verification
Make sure the SharePoint Administration Service is running
Location of Installation
- If you are installing a ShortPoint in a SharePoint farm environment, make sure to start the installation on the correct server.
- Refer to SharePoint Central Administration > System Settings > Servers > Manage servers on this farm for a list of farm servers running these services.
- During the installation process, ShortPoint will be automatically deployed to all front-end Web servers by the SharePoint Timer service via SharePoint Solution Deployment. There is no need to run the Setup/Installation program on more than one server on the farm.
Begin With the Installation
- After you download ShortPoint Solution for SharePoint Server 2013 or 2016, transfer the downloaded file into your SharePoint Server
- Extract the file
- For SharePoint 2013, run Setup2013.exe
- For SharePoint 2016, run Setup2016.exe
- Click Next
- System Check all passed - click Next
- If you face issues here, make sure to review the Before You Begin section in this article. If you are still facing issues, email us at email@example.com and we will be more than happy to assist you.
- Accept our EULA. You can also view an online version at shortpoint.com/eula for reference.
- Choose the Web Application where you want ShortPoint to be activated
- Choose the Central Administration site (this is required to manage the ShortPoint Configuration features)
Note: Alternately, you have the option to skip this step to activate it manually later
- The installation might take a few minutes. Once done, click Next.
Congratulations, You are done! :)
ShortPoint is now installed and you are ready to start designing amazing SharePoint pages.
To Install New Upgrades
To install an upgrade, you will follow the same steps as for installation except, this time, you will choose Upgrade when the options appear.
Note: if you don't see Upgrade as one of the options and see Repair instead, please select it. Starting from the recent versions, the Upgrade option was replaced by Repair. There is no end-user impact of performing this option.
Post Check After Installation
Here are a few items to check to confirm that your installation was successfully completed.
Check 1: Confirm that you have a valid license
Open Central Administration, then click Configure ShortPoint Licensing
Note: If the ShortPoint Configuration Options shown below are missing, you must deploy the ShortPoint Solution to the Central Administration Web Application as noted in the installation steps above.
If the status is green, then everything is good.
More information about the license can be found in our article on how to Activate ShortPoint Farm Solution License.
Check 2: Confirm that ShortPoint is Active
ShortPoint can be activated on any scope, web application, site collection, or site scope. Make sure to activate the ShortPoint feature on the site where you wish to use ShortPoint.
Open Site Settings and you should see ShortPoint Dashboard as one of the items to select.
The dashboard will show you the status of your ShortPoint License
- SharePoint 2013 / 2016 - Manually Installing ShortPoint Farm Solution Using Powershell
- ShortPoint Farm Solution Upgrade (SharePoint 2013/2016)