If you are trying to install ShortPoint on your SharePoint site, and you came across an error message saying that you have to enable scripting capabilities to finish the installation, then this article is for you.
Scripting capabilities are not enabled with modern sites (and other sites) by default, and cannot be enabled using the admin portal for modern sites. You cannot install ShortPoint Add-In on modern sites if scripting capabilities are not enabled. The only way to enable scripting capabilities is through PowerShell.
NOTEStarting March 2024, Microsoft will remove the ability to enable scripting capabilities in the SharePoint admin center.
However, users can still enable this option through PowerShell.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Before we begin
- How to enable scripting capabilities with PowerShell
- Disabling scripting capabilities on your site
Before we begin
- Make sure that you are a ShortPoint Designer with an active license.
- Make sure you have Office 365 SharePoint environment.
- Make sure you already have experience with using PowerShell.
- This article is for you if you are seeing the message The installation has failed, please try again or Oops, the installation has failed! Scripting capabilities are not enabled on this site.
- This article is for you if you are enabling scripting capabilities on modern sites, group sites, or on a specific site only (Only required if you want to use ShortPoint on classic pages).
- You need to have access to your SharePoint Admin Portal with the URL: https://your-domain-admin.shareppoint.com.
- You already have downloaded and installed SharePoint Online Management Shell.
- If you encounter the message: This application requires the following to be installed: PowerShell 3.0, you may need to download and install Windows Management Framework 5.0.
How to enable scripting capabilities with PowerShell
Follow the steps below to enable scripting capabilities on your Office 365 SharePoint site:
Step 1: Open SharePoint Online Management Shell
From your computer, open SharePoint Online Management Shell.
Note: If you do not have the SharePoint Online Management Shell application on your computer, kindly go back to the prerequisite guidelines to learn how to download and install it.
Step 2: Connect and sign in to your SharePoint Admin Portal
On SharePoint Online Manage Shell, type the following command to open connection:
Then, hit the Enter key.
Enter the URL of your SharePoint Admin Portal. Typically, the URL looks like this:
Replace your-domain with the name of your site domain and hit Enter.
If you are successful in connecting to your site, it will ask you for a username and password. Sign in using the account of the user who has permission to manage SharePoint from the SharePoint Admin Center.
Step 3: Enable scripting capabilities on your site
Type the following command to enable scripting capabilities on your modern site and any other site:
Then, hit the Enter key.
That's it! You have now enabled scripting capabilities in Office 365. You will now be able to install ShortPoint on Modern Sites or any other site.
Disabling scripting capabilities on your site
In the event that you want to disable scripting capabilities on your site, you may repeat the steps in this article. However, for Step 3, replace the command with:
Set-SPOsite https://your-domain.sharepoint.com/sites/modern-site -DenyAddAndCustomizePages 1
- What Is "Scripting Capabilities" and Why Is It Required for Using ShortPoint on Classic Pages?
- ShortPoint Add-in: The installation has failed, please try again
- Oops, the installation has failed! Scripting capabilities are not enabled on this site
- How to Check License Expiration Date
- ShortPoint Add-in and SPFx Trial license