In this article, we will provide some guidance on on-premise to on-premise (SharePoint 2013/2016) migration for ShortPoint designed web parts and sites when using a third-party migration tool.
Note: There are several third-party migration tools you can opt to use. Here, we are describing the general steps based on our experience with using two applications:
Contact our support team (email@example.com) if you encounter issues or need assistance when using other tools.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Step 1: Follow third-party tool migration instructions
- Step 2: Install and activate ShortPoint in the new site
- Step 3: Import Theme Builder Customizations
- You have a working third-party migration tool installed
- You have administrator permissions on the old and new SharePoint sites
- You have a license provisioned for the new farm environment
Step 1: Follow third-party tool migration instructions
Complete migration tool process to access the structure and content of the old site and move them to the new site. Most tools provide a copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop solution.
Once completed, you will notice that the new site pages with ShortPoint design elements still appear blank. Please proceed to the next step.
Step 2: Install and activate ShortPoint in the new site
In the new farm environment, proceed to install the ShortPoint application and activate it.
A detailed article on this process can be found here: ShortPoint Farm Installation Explained in Details (SharePoint On-Premise 2013 and 2016)
Upon activation, pages on the new site will now display migrated content.
Step 3: Import Theme Builder Customizations
Custom page settings made through ShortPoint Theme Builder do not automatically get copied to the new site.
You will need to import these from the old site by following the steps indicated in this article: Export and Import Customizations.
Note: All custom changes in Theme Builder will be imported except Color Palette settings. These have to be manually set.
That is it! Your site should now be fully migrated to its new environment.
- Migrating SharePoint Sites with ShortPoint Content and Customizations
- How to Transfer the ShortPoint License When Migrating to a New Environment