If you are migrating your SharePoint On-Premise (SharePoint 2013/2016) sites to Online (SharePoint 2019/Online) and you are going to use a third-party migration tool, this article will list instructions on how to proceed to make sure ShortPoint elements and customizations are preserved.
It is also worth noting that your classic pages will not be restored as modern pages. If your intention is to convert to the modern experience, we recommend that you do a manual migration.
Note: There are several third-party migration tools you can opt to use. Here, we are describing the general steps based on our experience with using two applications:
Contact our support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you encounter issues or need assistance using other tools.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Step 1: Follow migration tool instructions
- Step 2: Install and activate ShortPoint in the new environment
- Step 3: Import Theme Builder Customizations
- You have a working third-party migration tool installed
- You have administrator permissions on both old and new SharePoint environments
- You have a license provisioned for the new environment
Step 1: Follow migration tool instructions
Complete migration tool process to access the structure and content of the old site and move them to the new site. Most tools provide a copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop solution.
Once completed, you will notice that the new site pages with ShortPoint design elements still appear blank. Please proceed to the next step.
Step 2: Install and activate ShortPoint in the new environment
Upload the ShortPoint SPFx application and install it in your new environment.
Please see the steps in the following references:
For ShortPoint Online (Office 365)
- Installation Step 1: Upload ShortPoint SPFx
- Installation Step 2: Add ShortPoint SPFx to Site Contents in Office 365
- Installation Step 3: Run ShortPoint SPFx Installation from Dashboard in Office 365
For ShortPoint 2019
- Installation Step 1: Upload ShortPoint SPFx to App Catalog (SharePoint 2019)
- Installation Step 2: Add ShortPoint SPFx to Site Contents (SharePoint 2019)
- Installation Step 3: Run ShortPoint SPFx Installation from Dashboard (SharePoint 2019)
Upon activation, pages on the new site will now display migrated content.
Step 3: Import Theme Builder Customizations
Custom page settings made through ShortPoint Theme Builder do not automatically get copied to the new site.
You will need to import these from the old site by following the steps indicated in this article: Export and Import Customizations
Note: All custom changes in Theme Builder will be imported except Color Palette settings. These have to be manually set.
That is it! Your site should now be fully migrated to its new environment.