This article will show you how you can connect ShortPoint Design Elements to News Posts and News Links from your organization’s modern site.
NOTE: If for any reason you prefer using the REST API solution, check out How to Display SharePoint Site News using ShortPoint REST API Connection Type.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Step-by-step Tutorial
- You are using a Modern Site in a SharePoint Online (Office 365) or SharePoint On-Premise 2019 environment;
- ShortPoint is installed in your environment;
- You have your news posts and/or news links prepared on your site.
Follow the steps below to get started:
NOTE: Before proceeding with the steps below, make sure you already have newsposts and/or news links on your site.
For more details on how to create News Posts and News Links, check out Create and share news on your SharePoint sites.
Step 1: Insert or Edit a Design Element
Insert the Design Element you want to use from ShortPoint Page Builder or click the cogwheel icon on a Design Element you want to edit.
NOTE: To learn more about inserting Design Elements, check out ShortPoint Basics: How to Insert Design Elements.
For this article, we will be editing an existing Image List Design Element. Click the cogwheel icon beside the Image List tag.
Step 2: Connect to your News using the Site News Connection Type
Go to the Connect tab and select the News connection type you prefer:
- Site News - allows you to put together news articles from site pages within your site collection.
- Hub News - allows you to present news posts and news links from sites and subsites associated with a hub site.
- Org News - allows you to pull content from news sources across all site collections.
For this tutorial, we will use Site News.
Then, select the Source you prefer:
- News from Current Site Collection - allows you to search for news from the site pages library of the site collection where your SharePoint page currently resides.
- News from Other Sites - allows you to connect to a different site collection within your SharePoint tenancy.
- News from SharePoint Site URL - allows you directly insert the URL of the site collection you wish to get your news information from.
For this tutorial, we will select News from Current Site Collection.
Select the site you prefer. We will select the name of our current site.
Then, click Connect.
You will see a green notification at the top and at the bottom of the page after clicking Connect.
NOTE: To learn more about the Site News Connection Type and its features, check out Connection Type: Site News.
Step 3: Map Items
Go to the Items tab.
Then, map the items according to your preference using the drop-down for each field.
NOTE: Check out ShortPoint Connect: Basic Tutorial to learn more about the Connect feature and items mapping.
Click Preview to see how it will appear on your page.
Once you are satisfied, click Update (1) or click Back (2) if you want to modify some items.
Step 4: Save
Then, click Republish.
That’s it! You have now successfully connected a ShortPoint Design Element to your Site News. Enjoy trying out this feature on your SharePoint sites.