This article explains what Sandbox Mode feature is. Find out more about the New Upgrade in this solution article: ShortPoint SPFx New Upgrade for Office 365 and SharePoint 2019 On-Premise.
This article is for you if:
- You use Office 365 (SharePoint Online) or SharePoint 2019 On-Premise environment.
- You have ShortPoint SPFx app installed on your SharePoint sites.
- You have downloaded and installed the ShortPoint New Upgrade SPFx (7.1.5.xx+) package.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- This article is for you if
- What is Sandbox Upgrade Mode?
- Rollback option
- Beta version is available
What is Sandbox Upgrade Mode?
The Sandbox Upgrade Mode is one of the features of the New Upgrade. With this type you will be able to control the upgrade process, as the Auto Upgrade will be disabled. Once there is a new available version, you can use the Sandbox Mode to check the new version changes and improvements and decide to upgrade or stay on the current version.
Once you upgraded your sites to the New Upgrade version for the first time, Auto Upgrade option will be enabled by default:
To switch to the Sandbox Mode, you need to turn the Auto Upgrade toggle off:
Once there is a new available ShortPoint version, you may click Sandbox Mode button to check the latest changes:
At the top of the page you will see the options to switch between versions: the latest and the one you have. Switching between them, you may compare the changes.
You may navigate between different pages of your sites to check the improvements. You will also be able to edit the page and try new features and connections.
Please note that you cannot save the changes in the Sandbox Mode. You won't be able to do the following:
- click Insert/Update button for new or existing design elements (you may still preview them using the Preview button in Page Builder):
- publish your Theme Builder customizations:
The Sandbox Mode will not work for Generator and Connections page. However, you will be able to see the changes for the existing generated or connected design elements on the site pages.
Once you tested the new version you can upgrade to it, clicking the Upgrade Now button in the top right corner:
If you decide to stay on the current version, you may discard the Sandbox Mode.
Note: you may also preview any ShortPoint version using the query string at the end of your URL. Please, check this solution article for more details: Preview Any ShortPoint SPFx Version on a Page Using a URL Parameter.
You can use this option to roll back to the previous version you had on your tenant.
Once you proceeded with the rollback, this option will become unavailable, since the multiple rollbacks are not possible.
Note: There is no rollback option for the first New Upgrade package.
Beta version is available
Once there is a new Beta version available, you will be able to preview it in Sandbox Mode (Beta). It works the same way as for the public version.
If you liked the Beta version and want to have it for your sites, click Upgrade to Beta button from the Upgrade page.
In case you see that there is a new public version is available, you can simply click Upgrade to the latest button or enable Auto Upgrade. It will upgrade you from Beta version to the latest public version.
There might be cases that there are both new public and new Beta versions are available. You may check both of the versions using the Sandbox Mode and upgrade to the one you liked more.
- If you decide to roll back from the Beta version, you will get the previous public version you had before the Beta.
- If you had the Beta version before the public version, by clicking the rollback from the public version you will get the Beta version.
In both scenarios you won't be able to roll back twice.
- Preview Any ShortPoint SPFx Version on the Page Using a URL Parameter
- I don't want to upgrade my whole tenant. Can I enable New Upgrade for some site collections only?
- Can I check the new version on a couple of test site collections only and then trigger the New Upgrade for the rest of the site collections in my tenancy?
- I disabled Auto Upgrade and missed a couple of your releases. Can I upgrade to the one of them, and not to the latest?
- I disabled Auto Upgrade and now use Sandbox Upgrade Mode. How do I know about new version available?
- If I have multiple site collections and one of them is using Site Collection App Catalog, can I test the new package on it before installing on the entire tenant?
- I am currently on Beta version, and the new public release is made. How can I go back to the public release?
- I use Sandbox Upgrade Mode. If I have both public and Beta release, can I preview both versions?