How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Customize SharePoint modern experience, global navigation improvements, fixes, tips, tricks

Thanks for your time.  As most of us know the global navigation in modern experience is a mess.

I was wondering if you know of any improvements down the road by Microsoft since you are always working on improving your product as they make improvements or change things.

I was also wondering if you have any tips or tricks beyond using classic experience.

Thanks!

Sample description of global nav in modern experience issues, from https://blogs.office.com/2016/06/07/modern-document-libraries-in-sharepoint/

When will these navigation issues be fixed in the new library experience? I’m surprised this wasn’t addressed already.

7 months ago

Ryan Markwald

This. It seems to be broken, as it’ll show things twice (like a sub-site), but when viewing the Parent Site, left nav is fine. I don’t want to mess with it as since it looks okay by default, but when going into a library, it’s a mess on the left side. There has to be some sort of management for this, or instruction on how this works so it can be managed across the board. Users will be confused when entering a library then trying to go back, as the order of items in the left nav when in a new style doc library are also out of order, and it appears that cannot be changed currently either.

I’ve disabled the New Experience for now due to this issue alone.

7 months ago

Jerry Ober

We use managed navigation from the term store for all global navigation. Every site, page library and list has the same menu at the top of the page. There is a very large problem with the Modern Document libraries, they do not inherit the managed navigation! The Left nav and all navigation is not production ready.

Another issue I have noticed is the admin center is set for libraries to use the new experience, and the site is set to use the new experience. If you open the advanced properties of the Library, it is set to use the admin settings. Many of the libraries are showing the old experience unless you change the option in advanced settings to use new experience.

Why is the Global Managed Navigation not inheriting in the new libraries???????

Best Answer

We are thrilled to announce that ShortPoint SPFx is now officially available

You can start and try now yourself ShortPoint on both modern and classic SharePoint pages.

Download ShortPoint SPFx

2 people have this question

You can not do anything! Not Yet.

At this point, you can not customize modern sites and experiences at all. All you can do is to use the color palette to change colors and add a background image.

Why? 

There is still no way to add custom Javascript and CSS to the modern sites. This alone does not enable any customizations.

Microsoft teams are working to enable Javascript and CSS customizations on Modern sites

Follow these MSDN articles:

Also, you can follow the top requested SharePoint feature on UserVoice:

We will keep you guys updated, and the first thing you will be able to do is to use ShortPoint in new modern pages. After that and once Microsoft enable adding Javascript to modern sites, you will be able to use ShortPoint site customization tool.

Thank you,

ShortPoint Team

ShortPoint SPFx is now in beta. Please send us an email to support@shortpoint.com if you want to be part of early adaptors team, and help us during testing.

Answer

We are thrilled to announce that ShortPoint SPFx is now officially available

You can start and try now yourself ShortPoint on both modern and classic SharePoint pages.

Download ShortPoint SPFx

Login or Signup to post a comment

Start a trial

Ignite your vision. Install ShortPoint directly on your site, or play in sandbox mode. No credit card required.

Get started today

World’s best intranet sites are designed using ShortPoint

Thousands of companies using ShortPoint everyday to design, brand and build award winning intranet sites.

Get started Learn more