If you currently have files or documents displayed on your SharePoint sites using ShortPoint Design Elements, and you want your users to automatically download them, instead of opening them, then this article is for you.
This article will show you simple steps on how to achieve this design feature for your site using ShortPoint.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Before we begin
- Step 1. Edit ShortPoint File Lists Design Element
- Step 2. Prepare the URL string
- Step 3. Paste the link URL
- Step 4. Map Link field with URL Path
- Step 5. Update ShortPoint File Lists Design Element
Before we begin
- The solution explained in this article works for Office 365, SharePoint 2019, SharePoint 2016, and SharePoint 2013 environments.
- You can use the following solution both for static and dynamically connected ShortPoint Design Elements.
Note: Check out ShortPoint Connect: Basic Tutorial for more details on how connection works. You may also use a static way of creating ShortPoint design elements by pasting the URL links to the files manually. Please check our support article on Adding, Duplicating, Moving and Deleting ShortPoint Elements.
- You already have a ShortPoint Design Element with links added to your SharePoint page.
- Files/documents are already added to your SharePoint document library.
Step 1. Edit ShortPoint File Lists Design Element
In edit mode, open the settings of your Design Element.
INFO: ShortPoint Page Builder Live Mode was formerly known as Visual Builder and Grid Mode was formerly known as Wireframe Builder.
Click the cog wheel icon to open File Lists settings as shown below:
- Live Mode:
- Grid Mode:
The Settings tab will open.
Step 2. Prepare the URL string
Copy the URL below:
spsite - should be replaced with your site URL.
Here is a sample:
Step 3. Paste the link URL
Switch to the Items tab.
Paste the URL that you prepared from Step 3 on the Link field:
Note: If you are using a static link instead of mapping it, you will need to paste it manually on each item that you want to display in the Design Element.
Step 4. Map Link field with URL Path
Once the URL is pasted to the Link field, select the URL Path from the Link drop down. Click the chain icon to see the options:
Note: For static links, you will have a complete URL path to the file. For example, the complete URL link will look like this:
Step 5. Update ShortPoint File Lists Design Element
Click the Update button.
Then, save or republish the page.
That's it! Now, clicking the link lets you download the file automatically.
- How to Map File Type Icons for Document Library Files Inside Folders
- How to Map Document / File Type Icon when Using SharePoint Document Library REST API
- How to Show Both Files and Folders of the Document Library in your ShortPoint Element
- How to Show Only Recent Documents in ShortPoint Element
- Horizontal Alignment for ShortPoint Lists