By default, the items in the Global Navigation sub-menus are displayed in alphabetical order, like in the screenshot below:
If you would like to change the position of items and apply custom sorting to the sub-menu, this article is for you.
It depends whether you have Managed Navigation or Structural Navigation applied to your site. Please, check this in SharePoint by going to Site Settings > Navigation.
If you have Managed Navigation set up, it will look as in the below screenshot:
In this case, to sort the items, you need to navigate to Site Settings > Term Store Management. From there, you need to:
- Select the navigation term set you are using.
- Select the Custom Sort tab.
- Select the option Use Custom Sort Order.
- Sort the items manually by selecting their position in the list.
If you have Structural Navigation applied, it will look as in the below screenshot:
In this case, to sort the items, you need to scroll the same Navigation Settings page down to find the sorting settings under the Structural Navigation: Sorting and Structural Navigation: Editing and Sorting categories. From there:
- Choose Sort Manually option in the Structural Navigation: Sorting category:
- Manually sort the items using the controls available under the Structural Navigation: Editing and Sorting category:
You are welcome to check the related article: